Monday, August 08, 2011

Take a seat...

Last month, I bought an "8" backed chair from the thrift store to transform (the post about it is here),  as one of my decor projects for this summer.

While I'm still working on the painting of the chair (it's gone through several colour versions...I'll post about it later this month!), I've completed recovering the seat pad. This method can be applied to any chair pad that needs recovering (or an upholstered bench for that matter...yes, that's on my to-do list this summer).  

Here's how to recover a chair seat...

Found (and pre-washed) some fabric (this one cost $3 for two yards...I only used one!)

Remove the chair pad from the chair.  Some chairs are easier to do than others, but luckily for this chair, all I needed to do was unscrew from the bottom.



Removed the existing fabric.
A flat head screw driver works with removing staples.
This chair had two fabrics on it!

Measured then cut the pad to fit the chair board...

Glued the pad to the chair board...
I just used "Tacky Glue"...but you can use any white glue.

Measured then cut the fabric to size...
To measure the fabric, just lay the fabric on the pad, and cut
approximately 1 inch around the pad.

Stapled the fabric to the chair pad...
Staple one staple on each side, pulling the fabric tightly
to position the fabric.  Then staple along the sides, from the
centre outwards to the corners, pulling fabric taut.

Staple the corners...
Make sure you cut extra fabric, and fold
the corners like you would with a birthday present.

Here's the chair pad...



Now all I need to do is attach this to the chair, and I'll be able to rest my....seat.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What the beautiful people are saying...