Friday, May 06, 2011

Now...for some Chocolate Chip Pancakes!


My kids love pancakes, especially chocolate chip ones.  Who doesn’t love those fluffy goodness of morning heaven topped with berries and maple syrup,  a Canadian classic.

I try to make most of my recipes from scratch.  But since we have pancakes every Sunday (sometimes on Saturday too!), it can be time consuming.  So here’s what I’ve done to cut the time in half.

I pre-mix the "dry" ingredients and store the mixture in a glass jar in the cupboard.  This lasts in my house for about one month.  I believe you can store this for up to 6 months.


I printed all the "wet" ingredients that need to be added on address labels (although I've made it so often I can do it in my sleep, which is sometimes the state I am in when making these early in the morning).



I stuck the label onto card stock, hole punched the top and attached to a jar with a pretty ribbon.  This label helps as a guide for those in the house who want to take the initiative and make these, *ahem*…say for Mother’s Day coming up…no hints.



Then on pancake day, I add milk, eggs, butter and any additional flavourings, like vanilla or chocolate chips (all the “wet” ingredients listed on the label).  Here’s the recipe:

Homemade Instant Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Dry Mix
(pre-mixed and stored in a jar):
4 cups of all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar

Wet Mix
(added to 1 cup of the dry mix above, on the day of making pancakes)
1 tablespoon melted butter
1 egg
1 cup of milk
Additional flavourings, like 1 tbsp of vanilla or 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.

Heat griddle over medium heat.  Spoon ¼ cup of pancake mix onto the hot griddle. When bubbles appear, flip until golden.  (approx. 2 minutes each pancake)

Serve.

Now…enjoy Mother's Day!





No comments:

Post a Comment

What the beautiful people are saying...