Wednesday, May 16, 2012

what in the world is there to eat?


There is a global crisis about food. There is lack of it in some countries.  Sustainability in others.  And horrible food practices in supposed G8 countries (poor ethical treatment or harmful pesticides and chemicals that are mislabelled in our food).  


I often find that it takes increasingly longer to  grocery shop.  Mostly because I read labels carefully to ensure I know what I'm getting.  I also re-read labels with products that I frequently purchase, especially when the packaging has changed....sometimes the ingredients change too.

This is a beautiful "formal" garden, designed with vegetables instead of flowers.  Brilliant! {source}


Sometimes I want to just live on a farm, or have better access to one, so I can ensure that the food is safe.  I don't have large backyard, so growing many fruit trees is out of the question.  However, I've started to consider container gardening as something that can be relatively easy to do, and doesn't take a world of space to grow.

These are fruit trees in containers! {source}


I've grown herbs, but I might consider growing more in my own garden.  There are  eight great edibles for just about any climate: lettuce, peppers, blueberries, strawberries, zucchini, collard greens, cucumbers, and Mediterranean herbs (oregano, sage, and thyme).  {source




Rosemary and other herbs from my garden last year

With all these beautiful examples of container gardens, I just might be inspired to do it this year!


A garden in wine crates! {source}

And I wouldn't have to travel the world to get my food.









No comments:

Post a Comment

What the beautiful people are saying...