Wednesday, May 30, 2012

saying yes to me



I overheard the other day, someone talking about boundaries.  That sometimes we are so inundated with requests...to volunteer, to help, to give opinion or to just DO...that we can get so caught up with other people's needs that we don't have time to take care of our own.

I love this quote:  "Sometimes saying 'no' to someone else means saying 'yes' to me".




I like that...although it's easier said than done.  When I hear the phrase "take care of yourself first", I often think of the speech that I listen to on the plane...you know, the one where the flight attendant explains the emergency instructions.  They always say that even if you're travelling with dependants, make sure you put the oxygen mask on yourself first, before you put it on those that depend on you.




As a mother, that honestly freaks me out!  Instinctually, I would put the mask on my kids before me.  Ensuring their safety first.  But the airline attendant's explanation is this...in order for me to help them, I must be able to function myself (i.e put the mask on) before I can do that.  



Well, unlikely emergencies aside, I'm starting to learn to feel comfortable with saying 'no' to others.  With all the general obligations that life asks us to uphold, it's become too easy to forget to stop and enjoy the simple things.  And really savour it.  Like the smell of that first cup of coffee in the morning.  Or the sweet feeling of a cookie melt in your mouth...


I'd like to reintroduce a new definition of R&R for this summer.  Yes, it will still mean rest and relaxation, but I think it should also mean reflect and realign.  


To look back and understand the why we do the things that we do. To refresh ourselves so we can be more efficient with when we say "yes", and de-clutter our obligations so we can be healthy enough, physically and mentally to take to task, only the things that have true meaning.


I'm not exactly sure what will change after we have some R&R this summer, but one thing is for sure...I'll stop and smell the coffee, and enjoy saying yes (at least once) to my favourite shortbread cookies.




Easy Shortbread with Chocolate Chunks
Makes 4 dozen/48 cookies

Ingredients
  • 2 cups butter, softened
  • 1 cup icing sugar
  • 3 ½ cups flour
  • ½ cup cornstartch
  • 1 bars (about 100g) Toberone Swiss Milk, chopped (or organic Belgium chocolate)
  • 3 tbsp, sifted icing sugar, optional
Preparation
  • Preheat oven to 350degrees
  • Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy
  • Add cornstarch then flour and mix, beating until well blended.
  • Stir in chocolate.
  • Place 1 tbsp. balls on cookie sheet/silpat, about 1 inch apart.
  • Bake for 20-25 minutes inti lightly browned.
  • Cool 5 minutes, then sprinkle with icing sugar.



Enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment

What the beautiful people are saying...