Wednesday, May 21, 2014

recover


When we first acquired our dining room set, it was a beautiful antique piece bought with the money gifted to us as wedding gifts.  Gorgeous mahogany pieces with beautiful white jacquard satin striped fabric for our dining chairs. Yes, white.  It was simple and classic, and at the time, suited our needs.  But clearly it was bought before children were in our home.


My painting projects went into hibernation during our cold winter months (painting in the garage + subzero temperatures = cracks!), so I was itching to do a small DIY project that can be done inside.  Since I had some left over fabric from a previous project (just enough to recover about 4 chairs), this was a quick afternoon project.


Here's how that afternoon went.  I removed the cushioned seat top by unscrewing it from the bottom of the seat.



Then the fabric was cut (approximately 1-2 inches larger than the cushion).  With the patterned side down, using a staple gun (and upholstery staples), I began stapling the centre of each of the four sides, working my way from the centre towards the corners.


Like wrapping a present, the corners were tucked in.  Then the chair seat was re-attached to the chair.



Here's the before and after:


It was a cost effective, quick way to freshen up the look of our dining room chairs.  Now that the weather is starting to improve, I might be ready to tackle the pile of painting projects waiting in my garage.

Now I can officially say I've started to recover from the long winter break. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

What the beautiful people are saying...