On Mother's Day, the part of the day that I enjoy the most...more than the flowers and handmade cards and crafts...is the annual tradition of breakfast in bed.
Although that quiet meal time usually lasts a mere few minutes, as I end up finishing my meal with my family, it's in those few minutes alone that I realize that breakfast, although lovingly made by my kids and husband, tastes much better when I can enjoy it with them.
The joy of this day filled with love, hugs and kisses is just a reminder for the reason of this special day. It's a day to really enjoy being a Mom without excuses, guilt, self doubt or measurement of how we rank (in our minds) as parents. It's just a guilt free day to spoil our kids back with love, hugs and kisses....being everything that being a Mom should really be all about.
Cheers to all the beautiful mothers in the world, especially my own, who've wrapped their children with pure love. May you all receive the same love, hugs and kisses...for Mother's Day and everyday.
Makes approx. 24 crepes (or 8 servings)
- 4 eggs
- 1 ⅓ cup milk
- 2 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Heat the cast iron skillet.
- In a glass mixing bowl, melt the butter.
- Whisk in eggs.
- Add the vanilla extra, salt and sugar.
- Add the milk. Whisk vigorously.
- Slowly add the flour, ⅓ cup at a time and continue to whisk vigorously until mixture is very watery and there are no lumps.
- Place a little butter on the skillet and spread with brush.
- Spoon about 3 tbsp. of batter onto the hot pan.
- Quickly tilt the pan to spread the batter thinly on the skillet.
- As soon the edges cook, flip (approx. 2 minutes).
- Serve with whipped cream, berries or maple syrup.