Monday, July 01, 2013

red and white


I think I've always been fascinated with home design, and I recollect an early time when my parents were looking to move from their starter home (where my brother and I were born) to a little larger place.

There was one house in particular, that we dubbed "the black and white house", that really appealed to me for some reason.  Every time we drove by it, I always said I wanted to move into that "black and white house".  And although it was on the market for a short period of time, for logistical reasons, we never bought that house.

{source}

I think that sentiment has stuck with me for most of my life.  When my husband and I first looked for a home, we would tour "those neighbourhoods"...you know, the ones in affluent communities with picket white fences, beautiful grown trees and children playing happily in the neighbourhood.

Every house that we'd admire were always this particular style... georgian, colonial, neoclassical, adam, or federal designed exterior with clean lines and strong bones.  And although it was rare to actually find a black and white one, when we did see one, we'd sigh in anticipation for "one day" to own something similar.

{source}

There is something very particular, I think that speaks to us.  It could be the centre hall plan.   I think for me though, it brought me back to a time when I was a little girl, dreaming of that picket white fence and the black and white house. A stately, symmetrical and conservative structure with graceful and elegant details.  Maybe I sensed, even at a young age, with it's structured rooms that it was a solid home, but with the beautiful classic details, there was a sense of pride in making a house a beautiful home. It harkens back to a time when quality meant something.  That patience and pride went into building homes to withstand the cruelty of weather and time.

And now as a home owner, looking for a house for us means more than just four walls.  These four walls are a home that can comfort us, give us the feeling that no matter how cruel,  stormy or strange it is "out there"...at home, we are safe.  Comforted.  Strong.

I'm glad that we can live in a country where we have options.  A sense of community.  A peaceful nation that is strong enough to weather the storm, but gentle enough to embrace those who don't have the strength to weather it with us.

Home is where the heart is.  This weekend we'll be celebrating the "red and white", the flag of our nation...our home.  

Happy Canada Day!








No comments:

Post a Comment

What the beautiful people are saying...