Wednesday, June 26, 2013

learning begins


As school starts to wind down, I start to pack away some of the papers that came home.  The purging of the classrooms began last week, and all of the hard work and effort, reflected on painted paper, typed projects and old tests, have started to make it's way into our memory files.

I had an interesting conversation with my husband about all the grandiose ideas of avoiding brain drain this summer, and keeping up my children's reading, writing and arithmetic during the time off.  He smiled in agreeance but I knew in that smile, that he thought I was setting myself up for dreams that won't necessarily become reality.


Maybe instead being a "teacher" this summer, this time I'll be the student instead.  Maybe I'll learn and be inspired to enjoy the bewilderment of seeing, smelling, experiencing the freedom of summer through my children's eyes.

My delightful daughter knows that you don't need any reason to dress up as a superhero and wear a tiara at the same time.  That every day is a day to become a superhero in your heart, to conquer the world, with a tiara, knight's shield, or princess gown in tow.



My inquisitive son knows that sometimes he will do things that test his mother's boundaries (and patience), and he too is exploring the world of adolescence, and trying to build a solid bridge that will connect between his childhood and manhood.  And although he will get frustrated with the limitations that will certainly greet him, he will keep on trying until the act of trying is no longer difficult.



So as school is done for the year, my kids will put away their backpacks and test the world around them.  And while doing this, I guess the real learning for me...begins.


Easy Oven Fries

During the summer, one of the rare treats I love to indulge in, is eating a tray of fries from a "chip truck".  Here's a more healthy, non fried version of those "chip truck" delights.

Ingredients
  • 2 large baking or russet potatoes, peeled
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon rosemary leaves

Directions

  • Heat oven to 450 degrees.
  • Cut the potatoes in half horizontally, then cut into strips, approximately 1/3-inch-thick 
  • Place the potatoes in a bowl of cold water for approximately 10 minutes.
  • Remove from water and dry thoroughly. 
  • Toss with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and rosemary. 
  • Place fries on cast iron skillet.  (a cookie sheet works well too).
  • Roast until browned and cooked through, turning occasionally, approximately 25-30 minutes.


Enjoy.





No comments:

Post a Comment

What the beautiful people are saying...