Wednesday, June 12, 2013

delightful



I remember when I was a young girl, I would visit my neighbour's house to play, and on lazy summer afternoons, we'd get two large bowls in her kitchen, as she would sift through her mother's cupboards for anything that was sweet and sticky.

We'd spend the afternoon together, creating an interesting concoction...chocolate sauce, maple syrup, bananas, cookies, cake mix...we'd dump it ALL in our bowls, and eat our new found recipe.  Her Mother would walk in, and we'd coerce her to "taste test" our new culinary delight.  And through her grimacing smile, she would always say, "delightful".

The other day, my daughter wanted to make her Dad, a Father's Day breakfast.  She took some pecan tarts, removed the pecans, added nutella and topped it all off with marshmallows.  It was an interesting mixture, although the only thing my eyes saw were the mounds of sticky pecans stacked on the table....and what it at first seem to resemble (at a glance)...a "present" from our dog.

After a few laughs with my misunderstanding, she showed me her lovely surprise.  Four lovely tarts, one for each of us to enjoy (with a birthday candle, no less!), for Father's Day morning.  Now, I'm not sure how long these would stay fresh...or if they would possibly be consumed before Father's Day this Sunday.  However, I neatly packed them in containers in hopes we could try them on the weekend.  I couldn't help but wonder if this is the beginning of my child's culinary experiments.

I hope it is.  And with every bite we'll taste on Father's Day or with future "taste testing experiments"...it will always be delightful.

Happy Father's Day



Dump Cake
(makes approx. 12-16 servings)

Ingredients
  • 19 oz. (540 ml) can of cherry pie filling
  • 19 oz (540 ml) can of apple pie filling (or omit the cherry pie filling and use two cans of apple).
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1 white cake mix
  • 1 cup melted butter
  • 1 cup coconut
  • 1 cup of almonds
Directions
  • Lightly grease a glass 9x13 dish.
  • Layer or "dump" the above ingredients in order as listed.
  • Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes to an hour, until cake is brown on top and bubbling on the sides. 
  • Serve warm with ice cream.

Enjoy.






No comments:

Post a Comment

What the beautiful people are saying...