Monday, February 27, 2012

not a chilli reception


Some of the funniest things to listen to are the Oscar speeches (or any award show speech).  Besides the red carpet fashion, I also look forward to hearing the funny, moving or awkward speeches by some of the winners. Those speeches can be so cheesy sometimes!




I can't imagine what it's like to be on stage, televised in front of millions of people, receiving an award for a role of a lifetime.  When I was little, I used to rehearse my own little speech time and time again, influenced by many of the speeches I've heard.  Here's a few memorable quotes from last night and previous Oscar speeches that were either funny...or received a chilli reception.


Christopher Plummer, 2012 
(Oldest actor to win an Oscar)
(To the statue) "You're only 2 years older than me, 
where have you been all my life?" 

Christopher Plummer, 2012
(He deserves two quotes, his speech was that good!)
"To my long-suffering wife who deserves the Nobel Peace Prize 
for coming to my rescue every day of my life"

Meryl Streep, 2012
"First, I'm gonna thank Don, because when you thank your
 husband at the end of the speech they play you out with the music, 
and I want him to know that everything I value most in our lives, you've given me".


Meryl Streep, 2012
(She too, deserves two quotes, for her classy speech)
"I look out here and I see my life before my eyes. 
My old friends, my new friends and really... this is such a great honor, 
but the thing that counts the most with me is the friendships 
and the love and the sheer joy that we have shared 
making movies together. Thank you all - departed and here - 
for this inexplicable wonderful career."

Billy Crystal, 2004
“Good news, they found Nemo. The bad news is, they found 
him in one of Wolfgang Puck’s puff pastries”.


Kathy Bates, 2003
“Every time an Oscar is given out, an agent gets his wings”.


James Cameron, 1998
“I’m the king of the world!” 


Jessica Yu, 1996 
(short documentary film producer)
“What a thrill. You know you’ve entered new territory when you 
realize that your outfit cost more than your film”.


Sally Field, 1984
“I can’t deny the fact that you like me, right now, you like me!” 


{sources: Listverse & Whyfame}


Now that I'm just a tad older, I don't really rehearse my own Oscar speech anymore. (okay, maybe once in a while...shhh, don't tell).  Funny thing is...now I really do have the most amazing role of a lifetime: 


Mother. Wife. Sister. Daughter. Friend.  

With these strong women "roles", although we don't get to attend Wolfgang Puck luncheons, receive free designer gowns, or televised recognition on a world stage, I think our "award" is worth way more than the weight of that gold statue.  So quoting the always classy Tom Hanks, here's what my speech would be today (just imagine I'm on stage holding a little gold man, wearing a beautiful Armani, Monique Lhuillier, or Marchesa gown...oh just humour me, okay?). 


"I am standing here because the loved ones I share my life with
 has taught me, and demonstrates for me every day, just what love is."



I hope all of you with strong "roles" feel awarded too.  This simply said it all...a sentiment that I hope, is warmly received.


Slow Cooker Chicken Chilli on Nachos


I just made a simple slow cooker chilli, using ground chicken to make things a little healthier.  Great on organic nachos topped with cheese, sour cream and avocado.

Ingredients
  • 2 pounds ground chicken
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans chili beans, drained
  • 1 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
  • 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
  • 1 large yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 1 tablespoon bacon bits
  • 1/2 cup beer (optional)
  • 1/4 cup chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon chilli powder
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 (10.5 ounce) bag corn tortilla chips/nachos
  • 2 cups of  shredded Cheddar and/or Mozzarella cheese (or more for garnish)
  • 1 avocado (for garnish)
  • 1 tub of sour cream (for garnish)

Directions
  • Heat a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Brown the ground chicken until evenly cooked. Drain off excess grease.
  • Pour in the chili beans,diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Add the onion, celery, green and red bell peppers, bacon bits, and beer. 
  • Season with chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, oregano,  basil, salt, pepper, chilli powder, paprika, and sugar. 
  • Stir to blend, then cover and simmer over low heat for at least 8 hours, stirring occasionally.
  • Remove from heat and serve
  • To serve, ladle into bowls filled with nachos and top with sour cream, shredded cheese, and avocado.


Enjoy.





No comments:

Post a Comment

What the beautiful people are saying...