Friday, April 13, 2012

beginner's roast


Let me begin by saying...I LOVE ROASTS.  Partially because it's so easy to do that any beginner cook can look like an expert, but mostly because it feels so satisfying. 


I know some people who only do roasts on special occasions...Easter, Christmas or Thanksgiving.  I do it a little more often, as it's something that is tasty, healthy, and something I can just throw into the oven, so I can do my multitasking duties of running the household. I see it as an end of week feast...sitting down together for a good hearty meal.  


To me, it's a finale...that satisfies so much that we're ready for a new beginning.  That we've nourished our bodies...and now we're ready to begin the next day, week, year....or just dessert!


So here's a great old recipe that I normally use on roasted rack of lamb...but thought I'd try it on roasted rack of pork...less rich and indulgent, but just as delicious and hearty.  Instead of searing it on the stovetop first, I just threw it together and let it roast.  So easy.  


Let the weekend begin!


Roasted Rack of Pork
(adapted from Allrecipes.com)


Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 (7 bone) rack of pork, trimmed and frenched
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Directions
  • Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). 
  • In a large bowl, combine bread crumbs, garlic, rosemary, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss in 2 tablespoons olive oil to moisten mixture. Set aside.
  • Season the rack of pork all over with salt and pepper, olive oil and garlic. 
  • Brush with mustard.
  • Roll in the bread crumb mixture until evenly coated. Cover the ends of the bones with foil to prevent charring.
  • Arrange the rack bone side down in a cast iron skillet. 
  • Roast in preheated oven for about an hour, (the first 15 minutes at 450 degrees, then lower the temperature to 400 degrees for the remaining 45 minutes.
  • Let it rest for 5 to 7 minutes, loosely covered, before carving between the ribs.

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment

What the beautiful people are saying...