Monday, December 26, 2011

in a box


During the craziness of the holidays, when someone asked me if I was looking forward to Christmas (of course, what a question!), I’d jokingly respond that I was looking forward to Boxing Day.

I was only half joking, as Boxing Day is my favourite part of the Christmas vacation.  Because to me, that day is the “vacation” part.

While many people I know brave the cold, long line-ups for some incredible liquidation deals, for me, I’m done with the crowds.  The waiting. I'd rather be underneath a warm blanket than freezing outside like cold peas.


Boxing Day to me is more like keeping me inside the box.  My house.  In my jammies, looking at the wrapping paper skewered all over the floor, kids (and husband) playing with their new toys, sitting together watching a DVD, eating popcorn and having hot cocoa.  No plans.  No dress up.  No lines.  Just hanging out, enjoying the accoutrements of the holidays, and just taking it easy.

So when it comes time to eat, we're always looking to eat whatever we have left (or use up those restaurant/take out gift cards we get at Christmas).  Here’s an easy and heart warming "use-the-left-over" dinner... almost as easy as a meal that comes in a box.





Easy Puff Pastry Turkey Pot Pie
Ingredients:
  • 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
  • 1 1/3 cups peas and carrots
  • 2/3 cup diced cooked potatoes
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme, to taste
  • 2 cups diced turkey
  • salt and ground black pepper to taste
Preparation:
  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  • Cut the puff pastry into 8 equal-sized strips..
  • Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Pour in the milk and stir while cooking until the mixture is smooth. Add the thyme and continue to cook and stir until the mixture thickens. Stir in the cooked vegetables and the turkey. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until heated through, stirring frequently, 5 to 7 minutes.
  • Pour the chicken mixture into a 2-quart baking dish. Lay the pastry on top. Bake in the preheated oven until the crust is golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes.

Serve.






No comments:

Post a Comment

What the beautiful people are saying...