Monday, September 26, 2011

architectural digest


This past weekend, my husband and I enjoyed a fabulous trip to New York City, an amazing birthday gift from my husband.  We stayed at a great hotel in the Meatpacking district, called The Standard, and it's anything but.


This is the view through the floor to ceiling windows of our room.
It’s been awhile since I’ve visited this great city.  What never ceases to amaze me is the scurry of activity amongst the jungle of concrete and bright lights.


And in surrounding areas, so much calm amongst the beautiful historical architecture in places like Greenwich village, Tribeca and Soho.

I’ve always inspired for my home to look like historic brownstones you see so prevalent in NYC.  The beautiful limestone.  The wrought iron details.  The grandeur and history of it all.

There is so much architecture to take in.  The details that create a sense of grandeur.  But also beautiful simplicity.  So many faces of New York.  What I found amazing was the juxtaposition of various styles, put together so seamlessly.  Old and rustic with new.  Modern details married with antique.  All so harmonious.  


I sometimes wonder (and hope) if behind those walls,  if all the differences in people's cultures and beliefs can mimic these "architectural walls of harmony" and stand together to co-exist beautifully, just like these buildings.



No comments:

Post a Comment

What the beautiful people are saying...