A few weeks ago back in July, those dreaded "end of summer" ads started to appear. Is it me or are these ads starting sooner and sooner every year? Sometimes when I hear those commercials that celebrate the kids going back to school, my heart sinks just a little.
I know the marketing machine is just doing it's job promoting all those autumn specials, but sometimes I think that this message is just a little too...soon. The days are still long. The sun (although unpredictable in it's appearance and intensity this year) still greets us brightly in the morning, and settles us with a soft glow late into the night.
August is only the halfway mark and there is still so much more freedom to explore. There is still so much time left to walk through nature, spending carefree time with friends and connecting with family.
So I've made a sweet treat that is quick and easy to make, and doesn't require baking (perfect for those remaining hot summer days). It's my humble way to defy the autumn season and say not right now...we're not ready to go "back to school". I say let's get back to summer....we're not done just yet.
No Bake Crispy Chocolatey Peanut Bars
- 2 1/2 cups rice crisp cereal
- 2 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 2 cups peanut butter (smooth is preferable, but crunchy would be interesting!)
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds (optional, or you can substitute with coconut or other nuts).
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 tbsp. butter
- Combine the first 5 ingredients in a bowl.
- Press firmly into a 9x9 inch pan.
For the Glaze
- Heat and stir constantly, the chocolate chips and butter in a small pan on low heat.
- Remove from heat when the chocolate is almost melted.
- Continue to stir until smooth and chocolate is completely melted.
- Spread evenly over the peanut-rice crisp cereal mixture.
- Let cool and set (you can place these in the fridge).