Wednesday, May 22, 2013

unexpected


It's difficult to not feel a little anxious about the tornado that hit Oklahoma this week.  As rescue efforts are underway, specifically at two elementary schools that were demolished in the path of destruction, as I read about the children who were rescued, or watch videos of the moments that parents are reunited with their children, as harrowing as it is to watch, there is a part of me that seeks comfort in hearing these stories.

As a child, I found news of natural disasters fascinating, mostly because I was more interested in listening to the stories of survival, and how the heroes and first responders are a big part of that survival. I'm not sure if I was just an inquisitive child or if I was driven by fear in the belief that if I closely paid attention to the news, I would remember what the survivors did, and then I too, would be a survivor if ever in an emergency situation.

Now as a parent, when I hear news of natural disasters, sometimes my mind runs scenarios.  You can say it is like running an emergency drill in my head. What is the fastest route to the kid's school?  Where is the nearest hospital?  What can I teach them now, without scaring them, so they are somewhat prepared? 

As much as I know one can not always be 100% prepared for everything, and to accept that the road we take will lead us to a predetermined fate, I thought I'd share some good resources to help parents (or teachers) to teach children about Emergency Preparedness.  Although this won't prevent or be a guarantee that we won't suffer through a natural disaster, it might help us be a little more prepared...to expect the unexpected.


 Our thoughts and prayers are with those in Oklahoma.



Emergency Preparedness Guides for Parents & Teachers



A Parent's Guides about Emergency Preparedness
(Link here)










No comments:

Post a Comment

What the beautiful people are saying...