Wednesday, May 15, 2013

great together


Like most siblings, my kids fight like cats and dogs.  They also play just as hard.  There is a special bond between siblings and although sometimes they fight (okay, maybe often), there is always this silent code of forgiveness.  When they fight, it sometimes remind me of the old Reese's Peanut Butter Cup commercial, in which two people, one eating peanut butter and one eating chocolate would crash into each other, one person exclaiming "You got your peanut butter on my chocolate!" while the other would say "You got your chocolate in my peanut butter!". Then they would sample the chocolate-peanut butter mixture and realize how great the combination of the two really is. "Two great tastes that taste great together." {source}



The other week, my son was not feeling well, so he had to stay home while my daughter attended school.  On the car ride there, I could sense that my daughter was feeling uneasy.  At first, I wasn't sure if she was feeling under the weather like her brother was, or if she wanted to stay home just so she can play with the dog.

As we approached the school, she said "I don't want to go to school".

After making sure she wasn't feeling really ill, I told her that she would have a great day with her friends, as usual.  But she said her brother wasn't there, and it won't feel the same.  She likes it when she knows her brother is around, you know...just in case. After a few minutes of reassurance and meeting up with her friends, she quickly forgot our conversation and headed into her classroom, giggling with her classmates.

When I returned home, my son asked sleepily if his sister was okay.  My heart stopped.  Is my mother's instinct off, and is there something that both of them are intuitively sensing that I should pay attention to?  I hesitantly told him she was fine, but missed having him there at school.  I guess I had a worried look on my face...my son smiled and admittedly said that sometimes he checks to see what she's doing, and sometimes she checks to see him play with his friends.  They look out for each other, and he sensed that she would be feeling a little nervous at school today.


And so, all day, I thought (okay, worried a little), about how her school day would be.  When I picked her up at the end of the day, she was still all smiles and had a good day at school, but wanted to go home as quickly as possible ("to see the dog").  When she got home, she ran up the stairs to see if her brother was feeling better.  They chatted briefly, argued a little, then she ran to play with the dog.

I guess I'll have to remember that sometimes they collide and fight, deep down they do really care about each other, and really are "two great kids, that are great together".



Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
(makes approx. 2 dozen cookies)


INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 cups rolled oats
  • 1 cup mini chocolate peanut butter cups (like Reese's Mini's...President's Choice also makes a good one)
DIRECTIONS:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  • In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, white sugar, eggs, and vanilla until smooth. 
  • Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt; stir into the sugar mixture.
  • Stir in the oats then fold in the mini peanut butter cups. 
  • Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
  • Bake 10 to 12 minutes until light and golden. Do not overbake.
  • Cool for 2 minutes and store in airtight container.

Enjoy.





No comments:

Post a Comment

What the beautiful people are saying...