Wednesday, December 19, 2012

pop of colour


I've been hoping to make cake pops for a while, but there is something that sounds too complicated while I'm in "trying-to-uncomplicate-my-life" mode right now.  So, I found a great cheesecake on a stick recipe that basically uses frozen cheesecake, rolled in chocolate chips.

Since I make a pretty good cheese cake, I thought I could make this on my own, without the crust.  But again, while in "uncomplicated" mode, I was thinking of alternatives (other than buying store bought).


I stumbled upon a chocolate chip cheese ball recipe that sounded intriguing.  But what struck me was the reviews...one reviewer said it tasted like chocolate chip cheesecake.  Bingo!



Without having to bake, I made little cheese balls.  Then I dipped them in melted chocolate.  I made a few to look like Christmas ornaments by adding cheerios on the top.



I was originally going to add sprinkles to give these a pop of colour, but then I stuck to my plan to keep things simple (and less messy), so I just added the sticks, and then said...

"Nah...I think chocolate is colourful enough".


Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Pops
Makes 12 cheesecake pops
(adapted from the "Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball" recipe found at Allrecipes)

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese,softened
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup confectioners or icing sugar
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
  • White chocolate or semi sweet chocolate, melted to dip.
  • Lollypop sticks or popsicle sticks (found at craft or the baking section of your local store).

DIRECTIONS:

  • In a medium bowl, beat together cream cheese and butter until smooth. Mix in confectioners' sugar, brown sugar and vanilla. Stir in mini chocolate chips. Cover, and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
  • Using spoons, a melon scoop or a small ice cream scoop, create little balls. Place on wax paper.
  • In the meantime, melt chocolate until it becomes a sauce (I melted them gently in the microwave on a lower heat).
  • Roll the cheese ball in melted chocolate.  Do this quickly, as the cheesecake will melt.  
  • Place on wax paper (add stick if making cake pops). 
  • Refrigerate until the chocolate has hardened.  You can decorate by piping frosting or more melted chocolate onto the cheesecake pop.  

Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.  The pop them into your mouth.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

What the beautiful people are saying...