Wednesday, November 16, 2011

piece of cake

If there is one thing that makes me squeamish, it's loose teeth.  Especially ones that are on it's last strings, sort of speak.  And if you're wondering...yes, I gave birth.  Twice.  Both occasions I had the privilege of almost nine pounds of bliss squeezed out of me.  Once without drugs. 

I think I was traumatized as a child when I went to a horrible dentist who removed teeth so fast, the anesthesia didn't have time to kick in...so any time there is something that involves teeth, well, let's just say, I hope nature takes it's own course.

Well, last week my daughter had her first loose tooth.  And it was a stubborn one.  I have been very fortunate up to now, that her older brother's teeth had always come out with his own urging...but this little sucker refused to come out no matter what urging from my daughter's tongue.  But it was breakfast time. And I didn't want her to lose her first tooth at school.  What if she swallows it?  What if she refuses to eat her lunch because it's too hard to eat with a wiggly tooth? 

So, I washed my hands like a surgeon, took a deep breath, closed my eyes a little, and started gently to nudge it out. Nope.  I could feel my heart pounding, blood rushing to my head, worried that I'd pass out, so I held my breath, grabbed that sucker, closed my eyes...and yanked it out.  Silence.

It came out.  No tears from me (or the kid that it came from..."it didn't hurt mommy").  It was actually quite magical! And it was a first for both of us...her first tooth for the tooth fairy, and my first foray into the dental profession.

I guess it wasn't so bad after all. I think I've now overcome my fear of loose teeth, and can help the kids remove any future straggling teeth. I guess you can say this experience...was a piece of cake.  

Cinnamon Roll Breakfast Cake 
(with Maple Cream Cheese icing) 
Adapted from Thibeault's Table

If you love cinnamon rolls and if you love cake, then this is the recipe for you.  It's has a coffee cake texture, but tastes like a cinnamon roll.  


Ingredients:


  • Cake:
  • 3 cups of flour
  • 1/4 tsp.salt
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 4 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 1/2 cups of milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/2 cup of butter, melted

Topping:
  • 1 cup of butter, softened
  • 1 cup of brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. flour
  • 1 Tbsp. cinnamon

Mix the milk, eggs, vanilla and butter.  Slowly add the dry ingredients until blended.  Pour into a greased 9x13 pan or fluted pan (I used a stoneware one). For the topping, mix all the ingredients together until well combined. Drop evenly over the batter and swirl with a knife. Bake at 350 for 28-32 minutes. (for approx. 50-60 minutes if using the Pampered Chef stoneware fluted pan)

For the maple cream cheese icing:
4 oz. (1/4 lb.) cream cheese, softened
3-4 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1-2 tablespoons milk
1-2 tablespoons of powdered sugar, to taste.
Beat the cream cheese with a hand mixer until smooth. Slowly add the maple syrup and vanilla. Add a few tablespoons of milk, then the powdered sugar, if necessary, so the frosting can be drizzled.  While the cake is still warm, drizzle the frosting on top. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Have your cake.


1 comment:

  1. Yes I do like cinnamon rolls, and I know that I would LOVE a slice of this.

    ReplyDelete

What the beautiful people are saying...