We love avocado in our house, and I often purchase bags of them for various dishes (my tomato avocado salsa is a house favourite).
Although my intentions are overly hopeful that we will consume all of the avocados in a week, on occasion, I have a few left that are on the cusp of being overripe.
This simple recipe turns avocado into a sweet and relatively healthy dessert (you won't taste the avocado), and it is quite adaptable. You can add more cocoa powder for a more intense chocolate taste, or you can add bananas, peanut butter or even apple sauce instead of brown sugar to add interest. Or just increase the amount of sugar to make it more sweet. This is a great way to have a chocolate dessert with the added health benefits of avocado.
- 2 avocados, peeled and pitted.
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract (I also liked using almond extract).
- 1 tbsp. of brown sugar (alternates: one whole banana , ½ cup of peanut butter, ¼ cup apple sauce.)
- ½ cup honey or maple syrup
- ½ cup Organic cocoa powder (I like using the Camino brand).
- Place all the ingredients into a food processor (I just use a hand immersion blender, with it's blender attachment) and blend until creamy and smooth.
- Store in a sealed container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.