Wednesday, February 26, 2014

go with the flow



This year, there have been a litany of occasions that have tested my patience, most particularly when it comes to getting everyone out the door first thing in the morning to get to school on time.  We have experienced a record-breaking year of tardiness...we're now at the point where I can jokingly suggest to the school principal that we should have our late slips permanently laminated for the year.   I have no tears left for the mornings.

Often during our drive to school, we've encountered construction or busy traffic.  Early in the school year, I would switch lanes, dart around any obstruction just to rush to our destination.  In the backseat, I could only imagine what my kids witnessed...a seemingly crazy car race, whizzing by other vehicles.  Unfortunately I might have some idea of what kind of example I've set for the kids about patience...and about driving.


As the year progressed, for my sanity I had to learn to accept that there will be days when we will be late, and days when we will be on time.  There were times when we've left the house early only to encounter a traffic accident that put our concerted efforts down the drain.  There have also been days during questionable snowy driving conditions, where I would put safety first, focus on the task at hand, and go calmly knowing that we're not the only ones who are behind schedule due to the weather.  And ironically, it's those times when we've actually arrived earlier than everyone else!

Although I believe in respecting other people's time and arriving promptly, I also learned that I can only control how prepared we are to get to our destination, and I have absolutely no control about our path to it.


Now when I drive to school, the kids don't even flinch when I patiently wait behind a slow moving vehicle ahead of me.  They don't ask to "go faster" because I'm calm, cool and collected, and they now get the chance to observe what's outside the window, enjoying a safe and stress-free ride.  Sometimes there's a reason, not only which path we take, but how it is taken.  We should still prepare and do the best we can, and when we're satisfied with our efforts, just relax and go with the flow of traffic.  Maybe if we learn to stop rushing, we just might get to where we want to go...faster.


Grilled Mozzarella & Spinach Baguette
(Makes 6-8 servings)

This takes a little longer to make than your average grilled cheese sandwich, but it's well worth doing it.  Sometimes when I'm entertaining, I make 2 batches of this spinach mixture.  One to use with tortillas as a traditional dip, and the second batch I use for lunch the next day, as a grilled mozzarella spinach sandwich.

Ingredients:
  • 1 pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed.
  • 1 red onion, chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • mayonnaise
  • mozzarella cheese
  • parmesan cheese
Directions:
  • Mix the thawed chopped spinach with the mayonnaise in a mixing bowl.  
  • Add the onion and garlic.
  • Fold in the mozzarella and parmesan until mixed. 
  • Place inbetween two slices of a baguette.
  • Grill until cheese is melted.
Side note:  If you're serving this as a spinach dip, once all the ingredients are mixed together, place in a oven safe dish and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until bubbly.  

Enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment

What the beautiful people are saying...