Wednesday, January 15, 2014

morning people



As a night owl, some of my best work is done when everyone is asleep.  The lights are out and I can write without distraction.  However, being a parent has forced me to be more of a morning person...to function with razor precision so we can get the day moving forward.   Preparation is done at night so I don't have to really think too much during the morning rush.  Just do.

One of the most common habits that top business executives share, according to the Business Insider, is that they all wake up early.  Very early.  Even on weekends.  I've been reading a lot about the strategies that businesses today must employ to stay healthy, strong and long lasting, and I've thought a lot about the parallels of successful business people and how some of their philosophies could be applied to having a successful home life.

It's funny how we can all be "morning people" during the holidays or quiet weekends.  On a school morning, it takes every effort to drag and pull the kids out of bed to get to school, but as soon as it's a Saturday morning, they are up before the sun rises.  



I think that is the key.  An early start to plan and look forward to a successful day.  To a corporate executive that may mean clearing their emails and preparing for their meetings.  To a child, their definition of success is an early start to the cartoons and playtime before they have chores and homework.  In a nutshell:  Starting the day with successful ME time.

I'm starting to wonder if I should change my perspective, and view early mornings as a clean slate, rather than an obstacle or chore to get through.  Although the stillness of the night can inspire some of my most creative ideas, my most clear thoughts to think and plan (or dream!) for the day ahead occur when I make it down the stairs for my morning coffee, even if it's for just ten minutes earlier, before anyone else is awake.  So much solved in those little ten minutes.   Listening to the house with not a creature stirring.  The sound of clarity.

Funnily enough, when I'm more organized on Friday nights, with a bit of preparation, I can get up earlier than the kids on those early Saturday mornings, ready with a full hearty breakfast to fuel our day and get an early start walking the dog or a family skate at the nearby rink.  We can focus on the priority of the day, which is taking full advantage of the weekend...family time spent together.



If those quiet and reflective early mornings help business leaders identify their priorities for that particular day or to even think clearly for the long term, then maybe it would work at home, for me as a parent.

Food for thought.



Make Ahead Cinnamon Waffles
(makes about ten 4"x4" waffles)

This batter can be made ahead of time and kept in a lidded container in the fridge for up to 5 days.  (You would need to re-whisk it prior to using.)  You could also make the waffles and then freeze them...just pop them in the toaster for future mornings.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups all-purpose or whole wheat flour
  • 1 3/4 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup apple sauce (you can use vegetable oil)
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 1 tsp of brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp of cinnamon 
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
DIRECTIONS:
  • Preheat waffle iron (for about 10 minutes, closed)
  • Beat eggs in large bowl until fluffy. 
  • Whisk in apple sauce, milk, sugar, baking powder, salt and vanilla, just until smooth.
  • Spray preheated waffle iron with oil (I used my Misto olive oil sprayer...you can use any cooking spray). You'll need to re-spray every 3 waffles.
  • Pour mix onto hot waffle iron (I use approximately 3/4 of a cup...amount will vary depending on the size of your waffle maker)
  • Cook until golden brown. (approximately 3-4 minutes)
  • Serve hot.
Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

What the beautiful people are saying...