Wednesday, November 06, 2013

each peach pear


Our basement renovation this past summer forced us to make decisions on what we really should keep and what we should donate or purge.  I don't know how other people feel when purging, but when I go over some of the old toys or children's books that my kids have outgrown, sometimes I have "issues" with letting some of those items go.

I know...those are just things, right?  That we should't have sentimental ties with objects and just learn to keep the memory in our hearts.


But as I run my fingers along the worn edges of some of those old board books, the favourites that my kids read over and over again, like "Each Peach Pear Plum" or any of the Sandra Boynton books, I can almost quote them verbatim without opening the cover, and when I do, I'm transported once again to those early years when the kids would touch and feel the books, absorbing all that is new.

It all started here.


Now, the stories that capture their imagination are books well beyond what I'd ever had read at their age, and I love how they embrace the genres that was never quite part of my repertoire...science fiction, fantasy or adventure, and voraciously consume each word of their prized novels like delicious desserts for the mind.  Food for their soul.

So for now, I might keep a few well selected books, just for me. Just as a reminder of how far they've come on their own journey and how much they've evolved from "Each Peach Pear Plum". They've added their own flavour to their reading tastes, and I will just continue feeding them with new adventures that await them on the bookshelves. Maybe one day I will learn to let go of those old books and take the lead from my kids and just be inspired to open new chapters with exciting adventures...and discover my own new flavours.


Peach Pear Blueberry Cobbler


I had a lot of fruit left over that needed to be consumed. I was originally going to make a peach galette, but didn't have quite enough peaches.  This recipe was blindly adapted to include whatever fruit that I had on hand.  It turned out great.

Ingredients

For the filling:
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 4 peaches, peeled and sliced.
  • 1 pear, peeled and sliced (I used Asian pear, which is on the watery side.  Bosc pears would work well too).
  • 1 pint of blueberries.
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
  • 1 lemon, juiced (4 tsp.)
  • 1 tsp. almond extract (optional)
  • Butter to grease dish
For the crumb topping:
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp. cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup quick oats
  • 12 tbsp. cup slivered almonds
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into 8 pieces

Directions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

To make the peach filling:
  • In a large bowl, stir together sugars, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.  
  • Add peaches and gently toss to coat. 
  • Mix the cornstarch with water until a slight paste, add almond extract and lemon juice. 
  • Stir into peaches to incorporate. 
  • Butter a 9 x 9 baking dish and add peach mixture.
To make the crumb topping:
  • In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients but the butter.
  • Add in butter pieces and combine with hands until crumbly.
Assemble:
  • Top peaches with half of the crumb topping. 
  • Place in oven and immediately reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. 
  • Bake uncovered for 30 minutes, then add remainder of the crumb topping. 
  • Reduce heat to 325 degrees F and bake until golden and bubbling, another 45 minutes. 
  • Remove from oven and let sit for 15 minutes before serving.
Serve with vanilla ice cream or fresh whipped cream.

Enjoy.




No comments:

Post a Comment

What the beautiful people are saying...