Friday, June 22, 2012

dole it out



It's funny how sometimes when you witness something, how a flood of emotions are triggered, bringing back a moment of time in the past.  


Yesterday I saw a video of an elderly woman, a school bus monitor, being bullied (outright, harassed!) by elementary school children.  Yes, elementary school (12 and 13 year olds, not high school).  I'm not sure if I am more naively shocked at the language that these children used or the fact that they could be so brazenly cruel to an elderly person. (the video is here...warning, it is quite disturbing) 


This video brought me back to a time when I was in elementary school, when I was taunted  because of my ethnicity.  I remember one incident that haunts me, still today, when a boy who was a couple of years older than me decided to use my head as a punching bag, when I sat in front of him on the school bus. 


I can't help but wonder how one childhood moment can shape (or scar) the way I feel about certain things with my children today.  Although my children do not take the school bus (for logistical reasons), I think deep down inside I was secretly glad that they were out of the boundaries for school busing.  I always imagined that what happened to me would happen to them.  


Conversely, I try to ensure that my own children are conscientious of other children in their classroom, ensuring that they are sensitive to the differences of others, and to respect those differences.  I try to model respectful behaviour, and never ever tolerate spiteful and cruel behaviour.  


I don't know if children in today's society are really taught that.  With the feeling of entitlement, along with the technological abilities to humiliate someone at such a broad scale, I think now more than ever, as parents we need to really teach the youth of today that you treat others how you want to be treated, whether it's online, or in person. That those actions can haunt you or someone else for the rest of their lives (and haunt you years later if it's on the internet). 


I'm still trying to navigate the "right" way to teach my children about society and relationships with others...I sometimes find myself trying to figure that out myself!  However, one thing for sure, I will make sure they learn that if you spew garbage, that you will get garbage in return.   If you behave respectfully and honourably, you will be treated that same way.  If you're going to dole it out, you better accept the same in return.


Hopefully, with the heat in these first few days of summer, I hope this season, the only thing I have to worry about them doling out, is a cold treat like this.   


Pineapple Dole Whip
(adapted from Group Recipes)
This turned out more like a cross between ice cream and sorbet.  The taste was very similar to the original Pineapple Dole Whip (at Disney) but the texture was a little more icy.  An ice cream maker would definitely make this more creamy.
Ingredients
  • 4 cups of finely chopped pineapple and 2 tbsp. of pineapple juice (or two 20oz cans of DOLE crushed pineapple) 
  • 2 tbsp. lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp. lime juice
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup organic sugar (powdered/icing sugar would do well too).
  • 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
Directions:
  • Dice fresh or drain canned pineapple: reserve 2 tbsp. juice. Set aside.
  • Place pineapple, lemon juice, lime juice, sugar and reserved pineapple juice in blender (or use an immersion blender), and blend until smooth.
  • Pour into two 1-quart freezer zipped bags. 
  • Store bags flat in freezer. 
  • Freeze 1 1/2 hours or until slushy.
  • Stir pineapple slush gently into whipped cream until slightly blended in large bowl.
  • Return into the ziplock bag and place in the freezer until completely frozen, about 1 hour.
  • Cut one corner of the ziplock bag, and "pipe" the frozen treat into bowls, for that "swirl" effect.
Serve







No comments:

Post a Comment

What the beautiful people are saying...