Wednesday, April 10, 2013

winging it



Life works in mysterious ways.

This past week, we had an opportunity to get a puppy for the family, but unfortunately it was sold before I was able to visit.  It was a visit that I had to really prepare myself for, both mentally and logistically. If this puppy was the "right one", then I had to be ready to take it home right there and then.

I have to admit. Leading up to this visit, I complained a lot.  Mostly about the outrageous prices (and products) geared towards pet owners.  All the variations of size, style and quality of things like dog beds, crates and leashes.  Maybe I'm over-thinking about all the things we need for the dog.  And like having a baby, I started to look beyond just the function of the products, but also wanted all these "things" to be stylish as well.

So when I received the call that the puppy I was going to visit was sold to someone who got there faster, my heart sank.  It wasn't because I had already bought the stuff in anticipation for our puppy, but because I'd have to explain to my disappointed kids that I wasn't going to bring one home just yet.

I must have looked like I was about to burst into tears while I was looking at leashes at the pet store.  The sales associate assured me that another one will come.  And this time I will be ready.

Well, she was right.  After a few emails, another puppy has appeared.  I'll still get the basics ready for our new arrival, but this time I won't get our hopes up and worry too much about getting every little detail "just right".  We'll just go with our hearts to find the right puppy that suits our home...and then, just wing it.



Hot & Sweet Chicken Wings (2 ways)
Adapted from Allrecipes

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 pound chicken wings, tips discarded
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper-optional (or 1/3 chili powder and 3/4 paprika mix)
  • salt and ground black pepper to taste
  • 1/4 cup of honey 
  • 2 tbsp. butter, melted 
  • 1 clove minced. garlic
  • 1/4 cup homemade "hot sauce" (1 tablespoons cayenne/chilli-paprika mix, 2.5 tbsp vinegar, 1.5 tablespoons water, 1/8 teaspoon salt)
  • Note: 1 tsp chilli and 2 tsp. paprika can replace 1 tbsp of cayenne
DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat and lightly oil grate or  preheat at 400* if baking.
2. Wash the wings well and pat dry with paper towel. Season the meat with cayenne (if wish), salt, and pepper.

If on the BBQ:

  • Cook the chicken wings on preheated grill until cooked through and juices run clear, 20 to 30 minutes depending on the size of the wings. 
  • Brush the wings liberally using 2 tbsp. honey while they are cooking. (
  • Melt the butter, pour into a large bowl and mix in the remaining 2 tbsp. of honey, minced garlic and hot sauce. 
  • Remove the wings from the grill and immediately toss them in the hot honey butter sauce to coat. 
  • Serve the wings 'wet' or return them to the grill for 1 minute per side to set the sauce.

If baking:
  • Preheat oven to 400*
  • Sprinkle wings with salt, pepper and baste with honey for the first 20 minutes.
  • Then remove and toss with 1/2 of the "hot sauce" (mixed with butter, honey and minced garlic)
  • Baste with the hot sauce for last 20 minutes.
  • Broil to make crispy for 1 minute.
Enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment

What the beautiful people are saying...