Wednesday, April 25, 2012

backyard memories

{source}
Going through the photos of old Girl Guide cookie boxes (in Monday's post), it brought me back to an age when I used to jump over the neighbours fence, and spend almost every summer day with friends, toting magnifying glasses and butterfly nets.  We'd build little tents out of bedsheets, and pretend we were explorers, camping in the outback, examining the creatures in the backyard.


It was an oasis...a place where the world was literally at my feet, and there really weren't any strict rules except making sure I wore a sun hat and washed my hands before I ate dinner.  Ahhh....life seemed so much simpler back then.  I've always loved the idea of a tree house...where little friends can gather in a little "clubhouse" and go over their treasures that they've found in the backyard.  




Although I won't be making a treehouse anytime soon (we'd need a good tree for that!), here are a few photos I've come across that have inspired me to re-create those magical days of summer...maybe with a more sophisticated twist.

Here's some ideas...


I love the how these curtains make this space feel romantic and private...this could be easily added to our existing deck arbour....

{source}

I can imagine many lazy summer days reading on this swing chair...

{source}

 Although I'm not the biggest fan of camping, this "glamping" idea seems promising.
{source}


Maybe I can convert a garden shed into something like this...

{source}

Or maybe hang just a simple hammock between two posts...

{source}

Or...just like when I was a kid, just put a sheet over four large poles...

{source}

I hope I have enough bedsheets in our house, so whatever we choose, we will have our own little oasis, so we can re-create more summer memories in the backyard.




  


No comments:

Post a Comment

What the beautiful people are saying...