Orecchiette is a uniquely disc shaped pasta that originates from Southern Italy. Once cooked, this pasta creates little "bowls", making it ideal for light sauces, as most of the flavour is retained within the hollows of the pasta.
This recipe is an easy adaptation a traditional Italian dish, but as usual, uses only five ingredients (and easy to find ingredients). Tuna would work well with this dish, but I chose anchovies to add flavourful depth, as the saltiness of the anchovies are balanced out with the broccoli. Anchovies are an acquired taste, but if you like food that with has a salty "bite" in flavour, this is your dish.
Anchovy Infused Orecchiette with Broccoli
(makes approximately 4-8 servings)
- 450g box of orecchiette pasta
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 6 anchovy fillets in oil, chopped (reserve 1 tbsp oil)
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- ¼ tbsp (about ½ of a lemon, juiced)
- 1 small broccoli, cut into florets
- Cook the orecchiette according to the package.
- Mince/chop the anchovy. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 3 tbsp of the olive oil and 1 tbsp of the oil from the anchovies in saute pan/pot.
- Add the garlic until the garlic is slightly golden.
- Add the anchovies and lemon juice, and cook for 1-2 mins more until the anchovies "dissolve" and become part of the sauce.
- Toss with the pasta.
- Add the broccoli and toss with the pasta until the broccoli is bright green.
- Season with salt, pepper or parmesan (if desired), and serve.